Friday 30 August 2013

Little (Awkward) Things

Hey, I'm back! ( ゚▽゚)/ I have finally reached the top of my mountain of homeworks and have successfully survived the past few weeks, making it back--- but barely alive. There will be more to come, I'm sure of it. Anyways, let's start off with this, shall we?:

                                       

Now, this entry will be all about awkward moments, as what our club advisor told us to make. So, anyways, that is me in my fish costume. You see, our school has this program every year called "China Tour". Just this summer, I decided to join. It's 8 weeks in China with no family and home. Just friends, other friends from other schools, independence, extra curricular activities (dancing, wu shu, music, etc.), and, well, obviously, Chinese. 

One day, they started to pick out girls who would be part of the "年年有余" (read as: nián nián yǒu yú) dance or "There Is A Surplus Every Year" dance, in English (I'm not sure if I got the meaning right). I don't really know how the fish costume is related to the title of the song though. They chose those who were "thin and tall". I'm not boasting or anything, but I kind of saw that coming.

Anyways, even though wearing that headdress thing and the costume made me feel awkward, I don't regret being a part of it. I remember one of my fellow dancemates got frustrated of me because I sucked at dancing it. I thought that she was such an overachiever. That pushed me into working harder and doing my best. I didn't want to embarrass myself. And sure enough, in the end, it all payed off. I did pretty well, if I do say so myself. I realized that hard work and sweat will bring glory in the end. Overachieving isn't so bad after all.  (⌒▽⌒)☆

Looking at that picture doesn't only remind me of the dance, but the whole China Tour experience itself and a person that taught me a lesson about perseverance. Even though we've never talked, I noticed something. I would casually look below the balcony and would notice him mopping the halls below when it's wet from the rain. At other times, he would practice basketball even though he sucks at it. Practicing in a place where he knows that people could see him fail, and so on. I looked up to him. Second, he taught me to do things before it's too late. I should've talked to him, to tell him of how much I was inspired by him. Or maybe he's not as great as I thought...? I don't know. I wanted to find out, but couldn't. I was too embarrassed.  (╯︵╰,)

But the point is, I was once a lazy, unproductive being. I didn't know what to do with my time. But that was then, and this is now. I am slowly evolving, working my way up towards bigger goals. Improving my academic performance step by step. And, well, slightly overachieving. Who knew that one summer can change a person so quickly? (*⌒∇⌒*)

3 comments:

  1. Nice photo (>_<) LOL
    Looks more like a water dragon, though

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know what you were like before China tour... But I'm glad to know you're improving on things. ^_^ Way to go!

    ReplyDelete